Tuesday, February 3, 2009

H is for . . . .

I have a really bad habit of using the word HOLY. Holy this, and holy that. I use it mostly when I am frustrated. Probably not the best word to use, seeing that it is one of the most sacred. But HECK . . .Batman uses it, right? HOLY HABERDASHERY Batman! (says Robin). A HABERDASHER is a dealer in men's notions and fashion. Holy metromania! Makes you wonder about Batman's orientation if he has a need for one, doesn't it? I mean, Batman would have no reason to visit a Haberdasher, considering he wears one outfit for his entire career in Super- HERODOM.
H is for HAILEE, my firstborn grandchild. She is four now . . old enough to converse with me on a more mature level. . . except if its about Dora, who she is obesessed with, and who I know virtually nothing about. I called her HAILEEBUG for a very long time, but now I call her "Shmoogie" . . .another version of "Shmoogoo", one of Johnny's nicknames for her. When I am on the phone with her, she always lets me know how smart she is by replying to anything I say with "I know that!". She is my HEART, as are all my grandchildren. H is for HAPPINESS. We all are in search of it, but never seem to quite capture what our idea of it is. I think we forget that its the simple things that make us happy. One of my favorite songs of all time is "Happiness" from You're a Good Man Charlie Brown.It reminds us that happiness can be found in such simple things as finding a pencil or walking hand in hand. Having a sister, or getting along. I am getting a little sappy just thinking about it. My mother rewrote the lyrics for my brother Bruce's missionary farewell, and her lyrics remind us of the spiritual things that bring us TRUE happiness. Having a purpose, and knowing the reason why we are here. Holding to the Iron Rod. The grandkids all sang it at her funeral. Its a moment I will never forget.

3 comments:

Holly said...

Holy Cow Barb, I can't believe you forgot H is for Holly!!=) Enjoy your blog. Have a great day!!

Darcy said...

cuuuuute.

Sarah said...

Brother and Sister Anderson - It's Sarah Packard and I just ran into your blog and wanted to say hi. Darcy and I see each other all the time and it made me miss everyone! I can't believe how fast your family has grown up. They're all so beautiful and happy. I used to see Travis and Jenna quite a bit too until they moved. Hope you're doing well! If you'd like to see my blog you can go to www.fairbanksfamilypod.blogspot.com. Nice to run into you!